Whether your possessions are financially valuable or have sentimental value, you certainly want them to be protected from damage. Storing your items in your basement, attic or garage is typically not the best option, as they are susceptible to being damaged from flooding and a number of other factors. Floods are the nation’s most common and costly natural disaster. Floods can happen anywhere, with more occurring in areas outside of high-risk zones. Not only can flooding be potentially dangerous and emotionally traumatic, it can also cause substantial damage to your home and property. Keeping some valuables in a secure self-storage facility is one way to protect your belongings and give you a little peace of mind in the event of a flood.
If you have furniture that is especially important to you or that is very fragile, it's a good idea to put it in a storage unit for protection. You can also use storage units in for housing important documents, valuable jewelry, photographs and other items that can't be easily replaced. When you use a unit for self-storage, you can feel confident in knowing that these items will be fully protected if a flood hits your area. You can focus on the safety of yourself, your family and your home, knowing that your items are safe and secure in self-storage.
- Security – Knowing your valuables are locked up is important, but thieves can get by even the strongest locks. That’s why it’s important to find a self-storage facility that utilizes 24/7 surveillance and security features.
- Water Damage – Flooding and hurricanes are the most common ways water can damage your belongings. It only takes a little bit of water to cause major problems. Moisture can also cause issues with common items including wooden furniture and clothing. One of the best things you can do is to cover your belongings in plastic inside your storage unit.
- Fire Damage – Many storage units contain wooden furniture, cardboard boxes, and clothing which are all flammable. For that reason, it’s important that your storage area has easy access to fire extinguishers and the area is monitored in case of emergency.
- Temperature and Ventilation – The weather can ruin many items which is why a climate controlled storage unit is important. Avoid packing your items too tightly in storage which can eliminate air pockets necessary for circulation. If you find your storage unit is too crowded, try getting the next size up for only a few more dollars a month.
- Insurance – Even with the necessary precautions, there are still possible scenarios in which your items may be damaged. Purchase insurance in case anything goes wrong which will allow your belongings to be replaced. Keep your important documents in sealable waterproof bags or watertight containers.
If you are looking for reliable, affordable climate-controlled storage units Triple AAA Storage has multiple storage unit sizes so you can choose what works best for you. We also offer protective covers including mattress bags, furniture covers, and plastic sheeting. You can even reserve your storage unit online. Contact us today for more information.